Monday, November 03, 2014

One rather suspects Andrea Levy is telling fibs

Article in the Guardian by writer Andrea Levy:  http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/03/how-i-learned-stop-hating-heritage?CMP=twt_gu

"My dad was an accounting clerk in Jamaica for, among other companies, Tate & Lyle. My mum was a teacher. They were middle class. They had grown up in large houses. They had even had servants".

If they were middle class in Jamaica then why come to the United Kingdom where "my parents were now poor and working class" ?

Doesn't add up does it. 

One rather suspects Andrea Levy is telling fibs here.

And do note "Few people at my college knew I lived on a council estate".  Are we not told continually that immigrants did not get council houses?  And yet here we have an admission that they did.

No comments: