Saturday, July 19, 2014

There were no criticisms when I gave my report, which was a relief - the past week at work

Monday

A rush to arrange a Polish interpreter for the weekend.  This involved a lot of 'phone calls.  Perhaps I am not at my best troubleshooting (I said this Alec Nussbaum and he said I was like Alexander Haig, I get mad when things go wrong).

I worked on the broadcast copy research, the deadline drawing uncomfortably close.

A proposal to tie up inheritance bequests (specifically from grandparents) in a scheme so that the money can only be spent on education and training.

Tuesday

Most of the morning spent on a photoshoot - portraits of the Council.  We used the corner office as a makeshift studio.  Just head and shoulders shots, but the photographer took hours fussing about.

A brief from Ashish Sharma.  He is so woolly and vague that talking to him is very tedious.  I wondered if anyone would notice if I just ignored him (the Birmingham office has gone downhill since he took over).

Wednesday

I had allocated the day to writing my report for the Management Meeting tomorrow.  But there were so many interruptions (telephone calls and e-mails) that I did not make much progress.  I worked through lunch to get the basics done.

The heat almost unbearable.  Two electric fans on my desk.  But I did not take my tie off.

A call from Alec Nussbaum asking me to so a report for tomorrow about the "competition".  Although it was very short notice and an extra thing to do, I did not mind doing this report.  I argued that sometimes your competitor is your best friend.

Thursday

Rain and then hot sun makes the atmosphere humid.  Some of the rain has been torrential.  Driving to work one saw a green wet landscape sparkling in the dazzling sun.

I was at my desk a few minutes early and opened the new e-mails that had come in.  Then I spent an hour editing my report for the Management Meeting.  I finished just in time.

The meeting started at 10 and went on for four hours.  Alec Nussbaum chaired the meeting - he has a surface amiability but is actually deeply cynical.  It was very clear that he was double-checking information as it was given to him.

There were no criticisms when I gave my report, which was a relief.

During the sandwich lunch talk turned to Gaza.  Alec Nussbaum became very animated and said that Israel had twenty-five thousand activists around the world who are used to influence opinion.  "That's how I want us to be" he said, "we are building a big team of opinion-formers who can sotto voce promote our ideas without seeming partisan".

After the meeting I checked proofs.

Friday

I gave some work to Joey, a graphic designer we sometimes use.  He was sunbathing when I rang him.  "My shoulders are burned" he said.

No comments: