Saturday, February 08, 2014

Whatever happens to the Institute my job is safe - the past week at work

Monday

At the request of Alec Nussbaum we have to itemise our time in weekly time sheets.  Lots of muttering that this is to see who can be dispensed with.  Looking at my timesheet at the end of the week I was surprised at how much of my time was wasted (of course I realise there is an art to completing timesheets and will reword this week's before sending it off to Head Office).

The rain fell noisily on the roof, and also on the window next to my desk.

In the afternoon I did some work on a policy paper.  And I pushed various other projects along a little.  But I was glad when five o'clock arrived and I could go home.

Tuesday

Most of the morning spent talking about communications to the new Campaigns manager.  A tubby grey-haired man, with a low voice so that he almost whispers.  He is to work from home in Dorset.

The server was down again, which meant nothing could be done.

When I went to lunch the sun was shining and the winds had dropped - but this didn't last.

Wednesday

One day each week I spend on the confidential project.

This makes me fairly confident that whatever happens to the Institute my job is safe.

The confidential project is to last over a year.

Thursday

At my desk this morning I assessed the day's tasks.

I sent e-mails to Media Relations at Head Office complaining about their lack of action.

The afternoon spent preparing a presentation I am to give to the Birmingham office next week.

Friday

In the office there was an odd sort of atmosphere.  Many managers away, and so the junior staff became noisy and lazy.  I could have intervened but decided not to get involved.

German receptionist Jutta leaving her partner, so seemed preoccupied with a sort of suppressed angst.  She is supposed to be having an affair with Reading Room assistant Matthew.  He stood at the reception desk giving her a pedestrian sort of support.

Again I worked on the Powerpoint presentation for the Birmingham office.

Talking to the new Campaign Manager, he is writing a book on architect Sebastian Comper.

No comments: