Sunday, December 22, 2013

Reading

Because I am working until lunchtime on Christmas Eve I have had to get all the shopping done this weekend.

In the town this afternoon I was walking past Waterstones and found myself going in to buy books for myself, despite the boxes of books I have still to read (at least two hundred).















Above:  one of the books I bought was The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald, inspired to do so by a recent article (which I have read several times) by Robert McCrum.
















Above:  the other book I purchased was Stoner by John Williams.  I am a bit doubtful about this novel (it has been extravagantly praised by all sorts of people, and yet somehow it looks dull).  Anyway, I bought the hardback version as it was (with the £3 discount) the same price as the paperback.

This is how I intend to spend the Christmas break - reading.

No comments: